Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ole!

The weather today is absolute garbage.  And I'm pissed at myself because said weather prohibited me from crawling out of bed to go to the gym this morning.  I kept thinking, 'Well, I have volleyball tonight so I'll at least get SOME exercise...' However, now that it's a complete downpour, it's not looking promising.

So last night, I spent majority of the evening slaving away in the kitchen, which I'm pretty much okay with.  I made chicken enchiladas and this tuna pasta salad thing that Miah was obsessing over since his sister made it over the weekend.

My enchilada recipe is pretty simple, and the best part about making it last night was that I used shredded taco-spiced chicken from the freezer (that may or may not have been from Christmas).  I used this recipe to make the chicken originally, and I highly recommend it.  It's super easy, and SO good!  The chicken can then be used for tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos, etc. and it will blow your mind in any form.

ANYWHO.  This made about 8 enchiladas - and these measurements are super precise (not).

1 "small square"-sized Ziploc container of cooked, shredded chicken from the recipe link above
2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided (I used the finely shredded stuff this time)
1 tiny can green chiles
taco-sized tortillas (I use flour, but corn is good too)
2 small cans Rotel tomato and chile sauce (courtesy of my new favorite grocery store, the Sharp Shopper, for 30 cents a can!) (you can also use whatever enchilada sauce you like)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the first three ingredients together, only using about 3/4 cup of the cheese.  Pour just enough sauce in the bottom of a baking dish to coat it, just so the enchiladas don't stick.  Put about 1/2-3/4 cup of the mixture on each tortilla, roll it up tight, and place in the baking dish seam-side down. 



Somewhat unrelated, but we recently bought a fancy schmancy can opener, and I am happy to report that I finally know how to operate it.  LOOK - here I am, OPENING A CAN!

Once they are all in the dish, cover them with the rest of the sauce (however much you like), and approximately a shit-ton of shredded cheese.  Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and starts to turn a little brown.

 
I have a weird thing about sprinkling green stuff on top of whatever I make.  In this case, I put a little dried cilantro and also some chili powder on there.
 
...and the finished product!
Throw some sour cream on top, and whatever else you like, and voila.  And another awesome thing about making these is that there's always leftovers - which means I'm having myself a spectacular lunch today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment