Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Cast Iron Love

Well, this morning's drive was quite miserable.  After seeing 60-degree temperatures and sunshine yesterday afternoon, it was definitely NOT what I was expecting to see when I looked outside today.  Screw you, April showers.

I made better-than-El-Rodeo chicken fajitas last night.  I know it seems like I'm always saying how everything I cook is amazing; and, that's the end of that statement.  It is.  Here's what I did:

Heat 2 tablespoons-ish of canola oil in a cast iron skillet.  The cast iron skillet is vital to the preparation of this dish.  If you don't have one, get your ass to Bass Pro and buy one.  I recommend Lodge brand.  You're welcome.

When you get back from shopping, slice some boneless, skinless chicken breasts into strips, and place in a bowl or on a paper plate like I did because I don't have a dishwasher and attempt to use as little dishes as possible when making a meal.  Sprinkle a few shakes of the following spices onto the chicken, and make sure it coats all of it: Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Adobo seasoning, paprika, chili powder, and cumin.

Throw the chicken into the heated oil in the skillet, and cook for about 10 minutes.  Do NOT overcook the chicken.  I know that you're all terrified of serving undercooked poultry, but as long as it's not pink in the middle, it's perfectly fine.  Trust me.

Remove the chicken from the skillet, and into the same skillet (for God's sake do NOT clean it), put some sliced bell peppers and onions.  I used half a bag of "stir-fry pepper mix" I had in the freezer, along with half of a fresh onion, sliced.  I added a couple shakes of crushed red pepper, but you could also include fresh jalapeno.  You could really add whatever you wanted here, I kind of wished I had some mushrooms too.  Dump a couple splashes of beer in with the veggies (I hope you picked up one of those nice Bass Pro Shops coozies while you were out), turn the heat up to medium-high, until the beer is almost gone, stirring frequently.  Lower the heat to medium-low, add the chicken back in, toss around for a minute or two, and that's that.


Heat up a couple tortillas in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, and add the chicken and peppers and whatever toppings you so desire.  We didn't have any sour cream, but honestly it didn't really need anything, it was SO flavorful on its own. 

Happy cast-iron cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment